For a number of years, South African women have been calling for a maxi taxi service that makes safety its first priority. The need for such a service has been further exacerbated in recent weeks now that gender-based crimes and femicide are firmly in the spotlight.
The new ride-hailing service called ChaufHer – which will enable women to use online platforms to connect between passengers and the local drivers’ service – will reportedly be the ‘safest and most convenient way to get around’. The service was ultimately created to be ‘truly by women, for women, so you know that someone you can trust is picking you up’. CheufHer is a new ride hail service that connects female drivers with female passengers via an app that works on the same basis as other e-hailing apps like Taxify and Uber.
ChaufHer‘s safety features include:
- An SOS Emergency button that will notify the service (and a contact of choice) if the passenger or rider feels uncomfortable in any way.
- Safe Places: ChaufHer safe places are designated areas where ChaufHer drivers can wait for fares without worrying. These spaces are set up close to partner events or high demand areas to help keep our drivers safe.
- Training: ChaufHer will partner with professional organizations to improve the skills of drivers, and thus the safety of both rider and driver. Training covers hand/eye coordination and reaction techniques through to defensive driving. Other safety procedures put in place include third party notifications, 24/7 operations centre and driver safety training.
So, how does it differ from other apps? With CheufHer both the driver and riders are comprehensively vetted, with each registration thoroughly checked ahead. Also, only women and children are allowed as passengers.
How does it work?
- All you have to do is download the ChaufHer app, and wait for your ride.
At the moment, the app has not launched yet, but as soon as it goes live, ChaufHer will let their customers know. The public is however able to keep up with developments on their app via their Facebook Page for the latest updates over here.
To sign up as a rider:
Those wanting to become a rider can use the app to sign up:
- You will need your ID Document or Passport, and your credit card, so make sure you have these on hand. The moment your sign-up request is approved, you will receive a notification and can start enjoying truly safe and secure transport.
ChaufHer is the smartest way to get around. One tap and a car will come directly to you. Your female driver knows exactly where to go and will get you there safely.
By Noni Nchwe