It’s that time of year again!
Before starting your journey, it is important to do trip planning. By planning ahead and driving safely you can ensure this holiday season is a safe and joyous one. Here are some tips which should help make your road trip a happy and safe experience:
- Ensure your vehicle is fully serviced, including battery testing, wiper blades, brake testing, etc.
- Check tyre pressure and tyre tread depth.
- Check all vehicle fluid levels and top up if necessary.
- Fill your fuel tank and check fuel levels along the way.
- If you are towing, ensure your caravan or trailer is roadworthy and licensed.
- Listen to your car and drive with a sense of mechanical understanding to ensure you do not put unnecessary strain on your vehicle.
- Pack an emergency first-aid kit.
- Pack jumper cables.
- Pack a flashlight with extra batteries and warning triangles.
- Be prepared for busy roads or roadworks and have an alternative route in mind.
- Check your following distances.
- Pack drinking water and food packs for the family and pets (if taking them on holiday with you).
- Strap your children safely in your vehicle. Pack books, games, etc to keep them entertained and comfortable while travelling.
- Remember to pack chargers for your mobile phones and devices.
- Secure your valuables – don’t make yourself a target – keep your valuables in the boot.
- Take regular breaks from driving.
- Avoid speeding.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Make sure you get a full night’s rest before departing.
By Wanita Wallace